Tuesday 6 December 2016

He is the light of the world

Day 6 in the #LIGHTtheWORLD challenge is titled "Jesus read the scriptures and so can you." One of the suggested acts of service is to share a favourite scripture on social media. This one was actually really hard for me! I have so many favourite scriptures and wasn't sure which one I should share. As I read and skimmed through some of my options I kept coming back to John 8:12. "Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life." Throughout the scriptures this statement is echoed many times.
The fact that Jesus Christ is the light of our world is a very emphasized truth in our church.

John 8:12 teaches us that because Christ is the light of the world, when we follow him we will not have to walk in darkness. I believe that this is true. Sometimes sin, or the tragedies of mortal life can cloud our lives with darkness. Because of Christ's atonement this darkness can be erased and replaced with everlasting light. In John 16:31 it reads "These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." We live in a world today full of darkness, trials and tribulation. But Elder Holland assures us that "because Jesus walked such a long, lonely path utterly alone, we do not have to do so." This is comforting. Because of his love and sacrifice, his light is unchanging and inextinguishable. It will always be there. In times or struggle and in times of joy, his love and assurance will be there. I will never have to walk alone in darkness. That is such a blessing! Jesus Christ is the light of our world because his example illuminates a clear path for us to follow during our mortal journey. By following him we can avoid the chaos and make it happily back to our Father in Heaven.

I love this truth. Nothing makes me happier than to know that Jesus Christ loves me and will never desert me. His atonement is powerful, and eternal but it is also personal. He knows all of my pain and my suffering. He knows how I think, what I fear, and he knows the person I have the potential to become. He knows all of my weaknesses and loves me still. He knows me better than I know myself, and that is why you and I both have to trust him. We have to believe in him and believe that following him will get us to better places than we could ever get on our own. I have never done anything to deserve his perfect love, but yet it is still offered to me. Because of his mercy and willingness to sacrifice for me, my best efforts are enough. He does for me what I cannot do for myself. He reaches out and saves me every single day.

I am so grateful for the scriptures. Every time I study them I can feel my testimony strengthening and my knowledge growing. My prayers and questions are answered and my life is filled with a sense of purpose and belonging. The more I read my scriptures, the more I learn about my Father in Heaven and his Son, the more personal our relationship becomes and the more I strive to become like them. I have not only learned to live the gospel, but I have learned to love living it.

1 comment:

  1. Some great thoughts Hannah! You are such a good friend to young and old! You are a rare beauty inside and out.

    ReplyDelete